Neuro-logical Levels exercise
What: In Neuro-logical levels (sometimes logical levels) exercise we study the contradictions and harmonies between different neuro-logical levels of mind. In this exercise you will think e.g. is your environment in congruence with your personal values etc. This exercise is based on theory by Robert Dilts.
How: Make physical markers of each neuro-logical levels. The markers must include text that simply tells what level is it. Before starting the exercise, put these markers into the straight line in such a way that environment is closest to you. After this there should be behavior, capabilities, beliefs, values, identity, and finally spirit/purpose./p>
Prerequisites: It would be best, if you knew already all the definitions and basics of each of these levels. You can make this exercise alone, or with a partner/helper. If you prefer doing it by yourself, you can use notebook or something along with you all the time.
Duration: 0,5 – 3 h. (I have done this exercise face-to-face to approx. 20-30 people, and fastest process was about an hour and longest took over 3 hours.)
Assistant A guides the process of person B, or then you are your own assistant and thus guide yourself. Place all the markers to the straight line to the floor. B now enter all of these spots (spatial anchors), one by one, and A follows him on the side. If you are familiar with NLP-techniques, you can now install “Here and Now”-anchor. Assistant A is the one, who asks the following questions from B, who is not required to answer aloud, because this exercise can be made entirely mentally, inside B’s mind. (this is common in NLP-techniques)
- Ask B to enter the environment spot, and to think about all the environments, where he actually live. These environments can include home, school, workplace and all the environments where you actually spend most of your time, every day.
- Ask B to give you a sign, when he is ready and thus sort of overall image of his environment is clear in his thoughts.
- Ask B to enter the level of behavior, and thus to think himself in his environments and especially how he behaves there.
- What do you actually do, and how you do it? What do you do at home, at work, with children, with friends, with family etc.
- What kind of mental and physical resources do you have supporting your behavior in your environments?
- What skills do you put into practice?
- In which areas you have some sort of expertise skills and knowledge?
- What resources you have not activated already, but probably would need?
- What do you generally believe?
- What do you believe about yourself?
- What is possible? What you cannot do?
- What are your values that are reflected in every choices you make in your life?
- Which things matter you the most? What you will keep no matter what?
- Who are you, really? You can also use metaphors that best describes you.
- Who else you serve with you?
- Try to understand, which parts of your identity is learned from someone else and which parts are actually real?
- Understand also that this level of identity is you in general. It is the sum of all the other neuro-logical levels and thus defines you in the most excellent and specific way. This is who you really are.
- Eventually you will die, and when you do, what are the things that you would like to be remembered concerning you? What results would you like to leave behind?
- What is you life’s purpose? Who gave you this purpose? This level is the place, where your personal being faces the whole universe and the truth behind everything.
- Remember that anything is possible in this level. Even if you are the most atheistic person, still all the unknown (or falsely understood) truths are possible at this level.
8. Then turn around while still being in the spirit/purpose level, and now look back, straight to the level of environment. Perceive all the knowledge you have gained from this highest level. Then begin to walk to the environment, but stop in each neuro-logical level and observe this certain level in the light of that new knowledge you perceived from the level of spirit/purpose. Then step to the level of values and observe also this level with this new knowledge. Continue through all the levels, when you enter the level of environment once more. When you are in the level of environment, turn around again, and make this same thinking process in every level again – compare the levels with your spirit/purpose level. Continue till you reach the level of spirit/purpose again.
9. Now you should be in the level of spirit/purpose again. Next step aside, step outside of that straight line, somewhere where you should be about in the half way of highest and lowest levels. (this is called chancing point of view from the associate to the dissociate) Then take a look to the level of spirit/purpose. In that level, does there exists beautiful harmony or are there some contradictions? If that level is in harmony, you can move on and take a look to the next level. If there would be some contradictions, then you just fix that level with your imagination, reason and conscious mind as long and as many times as necessary – till there is harmony.
The main idea is to compare all of your lower levels to the level of spirit/purpose, and thus find that are these levels in harmony or are there any contradictions. Take all the time you need in each level, and please understand that it is absolutely okay to have contradictions. (E.g. exercises that I have hosted, everyone has been able to find some contradictions) You can write these contradictions to the notebook if you wish. When fixing the levels, try to do it in both conscious and unconscious minds.
10. Make this same process in your thought with every level and always go back to those levels, where contradictions existed and check that those are gone for sure. Continue this phase till all the levels are in harmony with each other. Now your behavior is in harmony with your purpose, and your values matches your spirit level etc.
11. Then step back to the spirit/purpose level, and while walking the line once more, check that this harmony is still there. If the harmony is gone and some old or new contradictions have appeared, return to the phase 9 of this exercise. (Please notice that this is not failure, but actually important information: you just continue this exercise as long as it take. And yes, about 50 % of exercises I have hosted had to go through like this.)
12. When all the neuro-logical levels are in harmony, the exercise is done. You may quit now.
Come back to this actual presence state (with ”Here and Now”-anchor). What was the last name of your first school teacher? Good. How are you?
If you accomplished this exercise with persistence and you were introduced yourself enough to all the terms involved, you should now have some answers on your mind (and/or in your notebook) that will help you to go forward in life. They say in Confusianism that a person lives in harmony with Tao, when there are no contradictions in the neuro-logical levels. When you once find the harmony inside of you, you will soon notice how the rest of the universe joins your inner peace.
Optional exercise: Extended neuro-logical levels
You can also expand this exercise to include your whole soul, not just unconscious mind. Then you need to add markers such as “creativity”, “memory”, “will”, “conscious mind” and “unconscious mind”. You can put these markers to the harmony with chakras, when the order is following:
will and personality
reason (includes or is divided into identity, values, and beliefs)
If your consciousness already is familiar with these terms and you truly understand them all, this will be much more effective and comprehensive way to do this exercise. In House of Truth is developed theory called Extended neuro-logical levels (2016) and there is showed how these levels are linked. This is the first known NLP-model that unites also the metaphorical system, frames , meta programs and strategies with the ‘normal’ neuro-logical levels. Consequently we have managed to create the NLP-model for enlightenment.